Re: Warm blooded/cold blooded

At 09:42 PM 4/15/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Maybe dinosaurs were both warm blooded AND cold blooded. What I
>mean is this,dinosaurs might have been warmblooded by mantaining a
>certain general body temperature,but coldblooded because the temperature
>outside their bodies had some effect on their body temp.

Please pick up and read the following:

Farlow, J.O.  1990.  Dinosaur energetics and thermal biology.  pp. 43-55.
In: Weishampel, D.B., P. Dodson, and H. Osmolska (eds.), The Dinosauria.
University of California Press.

and/or the appropriate chapter in:

Fastovsky, D.E. and D.B. Weishampel.  1996.  The Evolution and Extinction of
the Dinosaurs.  Cambridge University Press.

Actually, in general, I HIGHLY recommend that you go out and buy a copy of
the latter, which is the most up-to-date textbook on dinosaurs available.
(Next best option: find it in a library.  Unfortunately, libraries want
their books back eventually...).  It will answer many of the questions you
have posed to the various newsgroups, and will present answers in what will
probably be a more satisfying way.

I realize there is a tendency these days to seek immediate gratification on
the Internet, but doing the academic "legwork" yourself will be much more
helpful to you in the long run.  Twenty years ago and more, I used to pour
over all the dinosaur and other paleo books I could buy or get out the
library, and many of them are now in my office here.  They may be out of
date, their pictures may reflect concepts of dinosaurian biology and
behavior long since abandoned, but they were influential to me and led me on
to other things.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661