Re: Mononykus

>Could the mani have evolved from the practice of pulling bark off the
>base of trees to eat insects?

I don't know much about this subject, but don't modern animals that
search for bugs under bark tend to have really, really long
appendages?  There's some little primate relative, I want to say
tarsier but I'm not sure, that has a seriously elongated middle
finger.

What really puzzles me isn't why the claw is so big, it's why the arm
is so short.  Why would an animal need to apply that kind of force
so close to the body?  Sloths or anteaters or moles or, for that
matter, dromaeosaurs, that all have big claws, have them out there
quite a ways from the body.  I would think that anything you would
need to bring that kind of claw to bear against, would not be
something you would want to have so close to your precious innards.

If anybody has any ideas on why those arms are so short, I'm all
ears.

Matt Wedel