Re: Science of the Lost World

I realize you people don't know me from Adam, but I really wanted to share my
thoughts on this one.  I loved Jurassic Park, first of all, because it was a
cool movie, and secondly, because it re-sparked a long dormant passion for the
science of paleontology in my soul (well, the movie, and some really
increadible
recent discoveries).  It helped to inspire me, at the age of 28, and with two
small children, to re-enter the insane world of college life to learn this
wonderful science, and God, hard work, and grant money willing, I might someday
be able to meaningfully contribute to the discussions about cladistics and
fused
metatarsals (or whatever) and who only knows what else, and actually be able to
fully understand what I'm talking about.
    Speaking as a Theatre Professional (my profession until now), let's all
suspend our disbelief a little bit here, ok?  It's a MOVIE.  If I want real
life, I watch the Discovery Channel, or the news or something.  I certainly
don't go see a movie about dinosaurs that eat people and think it's the real
thing.  Try to remember that movies like this inspired a whole generation of
fine paleontologists and it is likely that Jurrasic Park and The Lost World
likely will inspire a whole new generation.  Let's give the kids a little
credit, they can tell fantasy from reality better than we can sometimes.
   BTW, I thought the debate over the evolution of cereal was a hoot.  However,
on a more serious note, a cereal like this one doesn't necessarily "get away
with something for nothing" . It is another way to get people (kids) interested
in the science.  It brings it home to them, pardon the pun. When something is
fun, it is definately more interesting than when it is not.  I undrstand that
funds for research are sickeningly small and hard to come by, and maybe a
letter
writing campaign is a good idea, but I get a very elitist feeling from it.
It's
like saying "How dare you put a dinosaur cereal on the market that kids will
think is neat and fun and not give ME anything.  This belongs to me, not
everybody else."

I realize this was a little long winded, I get that way sometimes.  My
apologies.  I'm sure I will be picking pieces of peoples boots out of the seat
of my jeans for some time after this, so, have a little mercy on me.

Karen M. Bentle
aspiring amature paleontologist
"Study and your chance will come"--Abraham Lincoln