protofeathers, dermal thingies, and wrinkles

 and Ralph W. Miller "Gigi Babcock" <gbabcock@best.com> said:

> Stephen Czerkas <snip> Based on his evaluation of Carnotaurus and "mummified"
> duckbill remains, the thin skin would have formed many wrinkles, as you see
> on reptiles today.  Stephen Czerkas also presented his interpretation of
> "the Sternberg duckbill from Wyoming," concluding that duckbill dinosaurs
> had tall neural spines along the back and robust dorsal neck ligaments (to
> support the heavy head), indicating that the neck was very deep and heavily
> muscled, like that of a horse.

so we have dinosaurs like hadrosaurs with thin, wrinkly skin thats bumby
like a gila monster and neural spines down the back, dinosaurs like
ankylosaurs with thick, wrinkly skin and bumbs like a Gila monster, and
then small thin-skinned, wrinkly, bumpy, bushy, and prickly-skinned
compy-types?!?!
Goodness, when did birds (which are thin-skinned,
smooth-under-the-feathers-except-for-bumpy-pores-that-feathers-attach-to)
have time to lose the bumpy scutes?  Should they be checking the rest of
the animals' remains to see if the body texture is smooth or bumpy?
Gods-what if the big guys like sauropods had bristles-like a long fuzzy
pipecleaner!

--
           Betty Cunningham