Re: Titanosaurus head & neck discovered in Chubut, Argentina

Shawn Patrick Zack wrote:

>         On a related note, I saw a blurb in the new Discover on a new
> brachiosaur from Arizona, "Sonorasaurus."  There's supposed to be a
> decent amount of it, including a partial skull.  The strange thing was
> the age, 100mya.  Is there much mid-Cretaceous material known from
> Arizona?  Has anyone haerd anything more about this critter?

Yes, I got a chance to study the specimen briefly. The folks at the
Sonoran Desert Museum are not dinosaur workers. They had published it as
an ornithopod (in Fossils of Arizona, v 3), had the the partial pelvis
IDed as a scapula, front legs for back ect. The head is new! I first
IDed it as a sauropod and told them they should bring the material up to
Phoenix for DINOFEST last April to show Jack McIntosh (our favorite
Sauropod Superman). Jack IDed it as a Brachiosaurid with very slender
legs.
        Rakovitch and Thayer were trying to put it in the Turonian, but
I really got on there case about how slim the info for dating was. They
did not want to listen to me. So... I'm glad to see them using a latest
Albian date instead. WE have tiny sauropod teeth of about that age
(basal Cenomanian - 80 total taxa)in central Utah that look very much
like the brachiosaurid Pleurocoelus. Our extensive record of dinosaur
teeth from microvert sites in the mid.-Cretaceous Utah shows no evidence
of Sauropods from the mid-Cenomanian-mid Maestrichtian.
        I certainly hope they can dig the beast up as it is sure to be
important. It is in a sandstone the has been tilted to nearly vertical.
Apparently they have other sites in these rocks (Turney Ranch Formation)
as well.
        We are also running some digs with the Mesa Southwest Museum at
some new dinosaur sites on the central New Mexico/Arizona border in the
Turonian (mid-Cretaceous), where there are skeletons (all new beasties)
and good microvert sites. The southwest is going to be taking its place
in dino paleo.

Jim K.