Evolution

 Richard.L.Dieterle-1@tc.umn.edu wrote:

>One could argue that a digging Mononykus could have squatted down and
>could have
>moved its head into position by a flexible neck, but wouldn't there have
>been a
>pretty steady evolutionary pressure to shorten the neck?. . . . . Pigs,
>who were already stuck with hooves, find themselves forced to use their
>snout, a technique which greatly affects the form of this
>anatomic feature.

You have this backwards.  Evolution dictates that function follows form,
and not the other way around.  Form following function is the Lamarckian,
not the Darwinian view.
(Fellow listers, if I have this wrong, stop me before I kill again.)

T.A. Curtis
kodiak@inetworld.net
13980 Lyons Valley Road
Jamul, CA   91935-2024