Re: Dino Parasites??

Richard Hengst wrote:

> I have been asked to talk a little about my research but with a slant
> toward parasites (informal, and after dinner).  If anyone out there has any
> information about the paleontology of parasites in general, or more
> specifically, on parasites and dinosaurs I would appreciate the information.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rich
>
> ------------------------------
> Rich Hengst
> rhengst@purduenc.edu

There is a herp parisite that causes a thing in turtles called shell pit
desease. These are large pits that form in the bone under a turtle's
keratinaceous shell.

We see this very commonly in our new polacanthid ankylosaurs found with
Utahraptor in the Early Cretaceous. It forms in the armor bone. I have
alerted paleo pathologist, Dr. Bruce Rothchild of this. It also occurs
in other ankylosaurs. Examples include the type of Stegopelta, and the
San Diego Mus. Nat. Hist. nodosaur. A very large abcess is present on
one of the armored neck rings of the type of the Asian
primitive ankylosaurid Shamosaurus. This might be a variant of what we
observe in are NA beasts.

Jim Kirkland