Re: Giraffe neck evolution reference request

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997 GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:51:45 -0400 (EDT)
> From: GSP1954@aol.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Giraffe neck evolution reference request
>
> Recently there were news accounts of research by a scientist arguing that the
> giraffe's long neck evolved for intraspecific combat rather than for high
> browsing. Does anyone have the reference for the original technical paper (do
> not need refs for more news reports).
>
> GSPaul

I just happened to have been assigned this for a discussion section.  The
citation is (Drum roll, please):

Simmons, R. E. and L. Scheepers. 1996. Winning by a neck: sexual
        selection in the evolution of giraffe. The American Naturalist,
        148(5): 771-786.

Hope that helps.

                                --Shawn Zack
                                  The Duke dino