Respiration issues

Hello all,

I know we've talked about all sorts of topics related to respiratory
methods involving dinosaurs but I don't think this concept has been
discussed.

In the days of my ill-spent youth I was quite the motorcycle "freak". In
the quest for more horsepower and better performance I spent a good deal of
time and money ram-tuning my engine. The technique involves a delicate
balance of intake and exhaust tube lengths and configurations to maximize
air flow. The idea is to create a flow great enough to continue to draw air
into the cylinder after the piston has started on its upward motion. This
requires the exhaust to "pull" that fresh charge of fuel-air into the
engine during that ever-so-brief moment when both valves are open. When
done correctly, and combined with the right camshaft combination, a near
"turbo-charging" effect can be achieved. The major drawback to this was a
very "open" exhaust system that drew a great deal of police attention.

Could it not be possible for some larger dinosaurs to increase airflow
beyond normal expectations by a simliar method? What I'm asking is could
the inertia of a large mass of air, once set in motion, charge the lungs
with less effort as rates of repiration rose? Conversely, the exhaled air
would seem to fllow this same pattern. In some dinosaurs where the evidence
for smallish air passageways in and out of the lungs suggested a limited
respiratory rate this might be the case. In the engine tuning method a
constriction at one or more points in the system is required. For not so
dissimilar reasons the evidence of respiratory constrictions in dinosaurs
might not be the limiting factor it first seems.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to the respiratory turbinates discussion and
how that relates to endothermy. Have I missed something. or doesn't
Horner's book, "The Complete T. rex", show a cat scan image of the very
turbinates in Nanotyrannosaur? I would apprecite being set straight on this
matter.

Roger A. Stephenson
"I hope Mr. Young will remember, a southern man doesn't need him around anyhow!"