Re: Euoplocephalus walking

Bettyc wrote:

> this is called pacing and modern animals that do this include the camel
> which does it at fairly slow speeds, and horses which do it at a faster
> speed (ever hear of a type of horse called the 'Pacer"?)

This is true, but OTOH pacing is not a natural gait for horses.  Pacer
horses are forced to move that way by a harness around their legs, and
it permanently changes the way they move at all speeds.

The standard gaits for an upright quadrupedal animal like a dog or a
horse are walk, trot, canter, gallop.  In a walk, each foot comes off
the ground separately, usually in a pattern something like right front,
left rear, left front, right rear.  In a trot, the diagonal feet are
synchronized: left-front + right-rear, right-front + left-rear.  In a
canter, one foreleg leads, the other foreleg in synchronized with the
opposite hindleg, and the fourth foot, diagonal to the lead leg, lags
behind.  Since this can be done with either foreleg leading, there are
two distinctly different-looking canters, left and right leads.  In a
gallop, the pattern changes so that again each foot is moving
separately: the two rear feet almost together, then the two front feet
almost together.  The gallop is also the only gait where all four feet
are off the ground at once.

Not all fourfoot mammals can move at all four gaits.  I'm pretty sure
elephants can't gallop.  I don't think they can canter either.  The best
elephants can do is a kind of fast shuffling trot.  I don't see an
ankylosaur being able to canter or gallop either -- too bulky, and I'm
sure that armored back would limit its flexibility.  So with
Euoplocephalus you're probably looking at an animal that could walk and
trot, and not much else.

-- JSW