Re: Mononykus olecranus replies

Richard L. Dieterle wrote:
> Diane Farish (Ibid.) comments: "The elbow head of its specific name
> [olecranus]
> refers to its elbow-like structure that, along with bones sized for strong
> muscle attachments, give its forearms unexpected strength for their small
> size.
> Theropods with disproportionately small forelimbs usually had weak forearm
> muscles."  Sizing down of arms (to include their muscles) ought to mean that
> balance and speed are more important that any function of the arms.  However,
> the arms, and most importantly, the claws of Mononykus, suggest heavy and
> specialized use.

I am looking closely at a reconstruction of Mononykus (from a speech by
Novak in SF) and I am wondering if the shape of the arm-taken out of
context as an arm- looks to anyone else like a ruminant hoof and leg
specializing in rock-climbing?  The reduced area of the point-of-contact
and the very straight support behind it leads me to wonder if they might
have used it as an aid to rock-climbing or hill-traversing. The rest of
the animal could have stayed in relatively stable areas of ground, and
the fore-limbs and long neck could have been used to search for food in
and around rocks in the area-maybe for lizards and bugs?  Richard's
discription of a very powerful forelimb seems to support (sorry) this.
DinoGeorge, would that lend support to your arboreal dino if it's a
rock-climber?

--
           Betty Cunningham