Re: The Business of Dinosaurs

Your quite right.I was a high school teacher that wanted to recover
Oligocene marine fossils for South Carolina museums.My students and I
built a darkroom to sell pictures, we ran every school dance, every
concession at every dance, turned out the first yearbooks the school ever
had and collected a cut off everything. We had $5,000 in the bank all the
time and bought plaster and chemistry to excavate and prepare fossils (
the Charleston Museum taught us how to use them ).In the end, we
collected three big leatherbacks; 10 whales, including several new genera
and species, and a few giant sloths from a later deposit. We also found
ourselves on "That's Incredible"back in 1983 and in the local media
constantly. After awhile, we pulled in the politicians, WESTVACO
Corporation ( heavy equipment ), and the Navy as business partners.They
helped us build a field station.We did what your talking about in a very
small way, but there's no limit to what you can do using business to
further your efforts in paleontology.

Stephen Faust                   smfaust@edisto.cofc.edu