Re: Deinonychus claws

Jonathon Woolf wrote:
<snip>
> I find it interesting that the nearest nondinosaurian analog to
> _Deinonychus's_ giant foot-claw is found on the foot of an animal that,
> if not itself arboreal, is descended from an arboreal ancestor.

The problem with this is that the claw is clearly a specialization
having nothing to do with climbing.  If it did, then many of the truly
arboreal animals would have possessed something like it.  They do not.
Thylacoleo was not itself arboreal and the claw is definitely not a
carryover from its ancestors.  Thus the claw has nothing to do with
climbing.

Another great idea destroyed by an ugly fact.

Joe Daniel