Re: Mosquitoes

I agree other insects would be useful, but not all of them would feed on
dinos *plus* get caught in amber all that easily.  It would depend on 1)
accident (some insects just happen to land on tree sap more than others);
2) life cycle (some insects seek out pine trees to lay eggs, pupate,
court, or mate or some other aspect of their life cycle and get caught
more often than others), 3) food (the insect actually feeds on tree sap
or uses the sap as nest construction material, then gets caught).

Mosquitoes are the most likely [than the others you mention] to both bite
and get caught in pine sap.  They seek out water-filled hollows in trees
to lay their eggs, or the shade of trees to await a warm-blooded animal
that also seeks shade, and some may feed on runny tree sap if available.
Biting flies are a close second, though they seek out decaying flesh,
dung, or plants to lay their eggs in.  Leeches are aquatic and shouldn't
be anywhere near a tree to get caught in sap.  Ticks prefer fields where
they can climb a grass blade and catch an animal.   Lice would only be in
a tree if their host was arboreal.  Lice are very species specific, and
bird lice stick with birds and their nests.  Now, if one crawled out of a
bird nest it might get caught in amber, but dinosaur lice?  Hmm, maybe
the plant eating sauropods could have lice that use trees as a staging
ground to hop from one animal to another.  But it's easier for lice to
just hop from mother to young, or herd-mate to herd-mate.  Fleas just hop
everywhere and take blood from any warm body.  They tend to ignore trees.

Oysters in amber!?!?!  Unless the pine tree was being inundated with
tides enough for the oysters to cement themselves to the base of the
trunk, then get covered with sap as the tree died...? Interesting!!!
Pines do hang on along the river banks here, in tidal areas brackish
enough that oysters live just off shore.

Here's a possibility: the dinosaur makes a habit of rubbing against a
pine tree, then this breaks the bark so sap flows, then the
fleas/lice/ticks get entombed... I'll buy that.  But mosquitoes and
biting flies are bigger, take bigger blood meals, and probably have
better odds than the arthropods you mention to get the job done.
I still feel the odds are *very* nil, even with mosquitoes.

I don't know if varanids have dermal parasites.  Any reptile expert out
there?

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com