RE: Mosquitoes

I have been following the discussion on Mosquitoes  and their potential
hosts and the associated chances of extracting Dino' DNA etc etc. Some
possible sources of the DNA have attributed to different insect groups. The
most commonly occurring insect group which would almost certainly contain
Dino' blood remnants has not been mentioned, the Diptera: Ceratopogonidae,
or biting midges. Whilst not found in every piece of amber they are
certainly a frequent occurrence.

Ceratopogonidae are frequently found in Cretaceous amber and in fact the
author A. Borkent has had a book published: 'The Biting Midges in the
Cretaceous Amber of North America'. These flies occur much more frequently
than Mosquitoes, ticks and fleas, which frankly are as rare as hens teeth
in any amber deposit not just Cretaceous.

In the front of Borkent's book is a rather nice illustration showing a
Dinosaur being harassed by a mass of midges and the speculative idea that
for most part the eye area provided the sight for primary attack.

Well that my two penneth as we say in England, I can give more details
about the book if your are interested.

Garry Platt MEd. MIPD. FISM.
Senior Consultant
CMTC Management Centre
Woodland Grange
Old Milverton Lane
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire                    E Mail: garry@gplatt.demon.co.uk
CV32 6RN                        Tel No: (UK) 01926 336621
United Kingdom                          Fax No: (UK) 01926 450648