Re: Dilophosaurus

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997 16:09:02 -0600 dwlewis <dwlewis@rmii.com> writes:
>I've heard the debate about how Dilophosaurus killed prey and have
>thought up my own conclusions.
>        Okay,we know this much. Dilophosaurus couldn't have used his
>teeth for killing prey. It was(from what I have observed)to weak. He
>could however bring down small prey. But I believe he could have used
>his fins for killing. His fins could have been razor sharp,and he
>could 've used them to inflict deep wounds into opponents and prey.
>When you read this message don't immediately start to attack it. Sit
>back and think about it for a while.

Everything I've read says the crests were too thin and fragile to be used
as weapons of any kind.  I assume that's what you mean by "fins."  Also,
Dilophosaurus had perfectly good, nasty claws on his hands to dispatch
his intended dinner.  What's to say Dilophosaurus didn't just pop a small
animal in its mouth and swallow it whole, like a snake?  They don't
necessarily kill their prey before they eat it.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com