ANTON'S PICTURES

>'MBell 16766' (sorry, don't know your real name) said..
>
>> Some mention has been made here of an illustration
>> in THE BIG CATS AND THEIR FOSSIL RELATIVES by Alan Turner and illustrated by
>> Mauricio Anton. I would like to alert you all to the magnificent
>> illustrations in this book, non-dinosaurian as they may be. Anton also has a
>> wonderful picture of a paleo-homonid family reunion in the  May/June issue of
>> Achaeology Magazine, Pg.33. Enjoy.
>
>Aficionados of dino-art will note that Anton - and I presume this is the same
>guy - has previously had work published in _Nature_. The restorations of
>_Pelecanimimus_ in Bernandino and co's paper and of _Cryolophosaurs_ (in Hammer
>and Hickerson) were by an 'M. Anton'. They're OK (but I must say the crest
>pattern on Anton's cryolophosaurs is not right).
>
>Am I right in thinking this is the same person? I haven't seen the new cat book
>and so can't compare the art.
>
>Does anyone have access to _Archaeozoology_? I'm after a paper in vol. 1 on the
>'zebro' (15th C wild horse from Iberian peninsula) - it's proposed that it was
>late surviving _Equus hydruntinus_.
>
>"I don't care what you smell you furry oaf - get in there!"
>
>DARREN NAISH

Yes, Mauricio is the guy who made the restoration of _Pelecanimimus_ in
Nature. He also made the nearly perfect restoration of _Pelecanimimus_ in
"Investigacion y Ciencia" (the Spanish version of "Scientific American"). He
is the artist who made all the drawings we publish in our papers. He is one
of the best zoo-artist (he work in dinosaurs, cats, crocodiles, and nearly
any beast in Earth) I know, but he is not well known outside Spain. I hope
this will change with the new book.
Just a point: the restoration of _Cryolophosaurus_ in Nature was made by D.
Starenko, not by M. Anton.
Bye! Nino.
Eva E. Pinardo Moya                          Fax: 34-1-3978344
Unidad de Paleontologia                      E-mail: Nino@uam.es
Departamento de Biologia                     Phone: 34-1-3978139
Facultad de Ciencias
Universidad Autonoma de Madrid
28049 - Madrid
SPAIN