Re: questions on tetanurines & etymology

At 12:35 PM 4/28/97 -0400, you wrote:
>What characters show that Baryonyx and Spinosaurus (etc.) should be
>united into Spinosauridae?

Just about everything...  How about: more than five premaxillary teeth,
naris greatly retracted, conical teeth, dentary rosette, and other features
to be described by Milner in her forthcoming monography.

>How strong is the grouping of Acrocanthosaurus, Giganotosaurus, and
>Carcharodontosaurus into Carcharodontosauridae?
>
>I have a posting by Holtz (10/24/96; 9:12am) discussing these questions,
>at which time they did not seem well resolved.

I haven't overturned (yet) the analysis to which you refer.

>Also, two quickies on etymology (sorry, but my library stinks):
>
>Does anyone know the etymology for Kronosaurus; "krono-" is the problem.

I presume it is from Kronos (the Greek equiv. of Saturn): Titan, father of
Zeus, who swallowed all the other of the first generation of Olympians
before being slain by the infant Zeus, who "liberated" his siblings.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661

        --O.C. Marsh, Vice Presidential Address, AAAS, August 30, 1877