Re: WHEN HERBIVORES KILL

The wonderful Darren Naish said:

>I can't let this one go: even if you are referring to aggressive behaviour
>another he has just killed] and Indopacific), between various big cats (it is
>well known in lions and I have photos of male cheetah eating another one) and
>even between herbivorous mammals including impala and deer (typically when
>inexperienced subadult males challenge dominant herd members). Male kangaroos
>and some pinnipeds occasionally die from the stress/injuries that result from

I might add that pinnipeds may also die from indirect consequences of
these fights; namely large sharks, esp. the white shark (Carcharodon
carcharias). They simply are less well off to deal with a shark attack.
In the case of the Northern elephant seal (Mirounga angustirostris) at least,
Ooten, after these fights, the losing animal will go
out to sea and dive deep to avoid white sharks (this is common behaviour
for elephant seals), and some researches have suggested that white sharks
may follow them...I can't think of the reference of this suggestion, and
it may not even be published (Sean Van Sommerman of the Pelagic Shark Research
Foundation related it to me), but i'll try and look it up to see if it is
or not.

For the record, white sharks have been recorded from mini-subs in Monterey
Bay, California, at over 600 ft down.

offering a deep sea break...

ciao!

ben...