Re: Another View (Was Review of AMNH Lost World Exhibit)

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997 22:38:38 +0000 dunn1@IDT.NET writes:
>  Here's an example.  Do you have kids?  How would you
>like it if your kids were taking a class on Classical Mythology and
>you discovered that their teacher's sole method of instruction was to
>show the kids an episode of "Hercules" every class?

What if this led the kids to the library to learn more? And they found
out the TV episodes the teacher showed were full of errors? Wouldn't they
learn how to be good skeptics, in the classical sense? [not cynics]  Do
kids only learn in school?

>Would you like it any more if you found out that UPN was helping sponsor
the
>school?  Was providing free vacations to the staff?

So what?  I work for a non-profit, and all that means is that tourists,
local school systems, philanthropists, generous business and corporate
sponsors and {a little bit} local and state taxpayers pay my salary.
Does that mean that if one of the corporate sponsors is a major polluter,
that we shouldn't solicit their generosity?  What if by being associated
with us, we have some pressure to influence them to clean up their act?
[this has happened more than once].

If we snubbed our noses at every corporate sponsor with a little
environmental smudge, then we couldn't do the environmental education
outreach that we do. Their money would go somewhere else, perhaps doing
more harm than good.

I applaud your high standards, but life is full of compromises, Larry.
Live with it.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com