Re: raptors, 'raptors, "raptors"...?

Dann Pigdon wrote:

> I always use the term 'raptor with an apostrophe to distinguish it
> from the birds of prey, as an abbreviation of "velociraptor" to
> describe the dromaeosauridae in general. Sure I'd prefer to use
> the term "dromaeosaur", but when your audience is the general public
> most people wouldn't know what a dromaeosaur was if it walked up
> and bit them (ok, maybe then they would).

Well, they'll certainly never learn that the proper name for the family is
the Dromaeosauridae if you keep using the term "raptor." And if you're
speaking, no one can hear the apostrophe.

> Then again, if the term "raptor" refers to predatory birds, and if
> you consider birds and theropods one and the same, isn't any
> predatory theropod therefore a "raptor" in the true definition of the
> word?

If you want to play *that* game, sure. But it's only the Dromaeosauridae
that have been singled out to be called "raptors", not theropods in
general.

Brian (franczak@ntplx.net)