Re: Whats in a name?

>Like it or not, science is not there to serve just scientists. If
>the general public latches onto a popular buzz word it can be
>extremely difficult to undo. How many people still use the term
>brontosaurus?

        And not just dinosaurs.  Does anyone think twice anymore about
calling those large hairy spiders "tarantulas"?  Scientists have long since
given up insisting that only the Italian creature is the proper tarantula.
So long as the scientists stick with the agreed upon conventions of
nomenclature in their journals, I don't see the problem with the public
getting slangy with the animals.

bruce

         "I wouldn't pull that lever if I were you, Ringo."
         "I can't help meself.  I'm a born lever-puller."