RE: Binomial abbreviations and the "When did T. rex...." stuff

At 01:09 PM 20/08/97 -0400, Matt Fraser wrote:
Mark Salter wrote:
>> That's neanderthalensis -
>> besides, doesn't recent thought tend to move Mr. Neanderthal back to his
(or her) own species?

>The jury is still out on that one. But it is a fun period for
>Paleoanthropology!

On this, what are the implications of the new DNA tests done on Neanderthals
stating that we were not genetically similar?  Is this new information being
accepted as accurate?

Now to dinosaur related stuff:

The first reference I found to T. rex was in Osborn's 1906 paper on
Tyrannosaurus.  It is in the second page of his article.  The term T. rex is
not a new one.  I have no idea how long it took to come into common usage,
but I always remember using it (although I am only 27, so that is not saying
much).  I also remember getting annoyed that it became a household  word
during Jurassic Park, which took away some of the..... I don't know....
mystique to the name, I guess.

Darryl

"the truth is, I don't really care how the dinosaurs died.
I'm interested in how they lived."  (Dr. John R. Horner,
from the Complete T.rex, 1993)
The two most common elements in the universe are
hydrogen and stupidity.
dinoguy@interlog.com
http://www.interlog.com/~dinoguy