Re: The biggest dinosaurs

Mark Shelly wrote:
>  I can?t help feeling that the plight of the elephants, mammoths, and
> mastodons is not similar.  Once their regional pockets they lived in were
> gone (due to expanding deserts, glacier advances, expanding grasslands,
> farming and shepherding man) these animals are/were doomed.  <snip>
>    Mammals, once their teeth are warn away would die of starvation.  Some
> of the larger, like Elephants have more than 2 sets of teeth to help
> overcome this limitation but even they can starve to death after their
> last set is worn away.

but this seems to ignore those island-dwelling dwarf elephants found
near Southern California.  If they were in this kind of surroundings
long enough to become dwarfed (genetically) then the population must
have been viable for quite some time in just such a situation as you
infer.  Why couldn't this have happened to sauropods?
--
           Betty Cunningham