Re: Theropod eating and attacking

> >I have a vague impression from somewhere that fossilized owl pellets
>  >have been found.  I've never heard of "dinosaur pellets," though.
>  >Coprolites, yes, but not pellets.
>
>  Owl pellets fossilize? Really? Cool!  If so, that's a good point.  But
>  maybe dino pellets were not recognized as pellets and mistaken for
>  coprolites?  Or perhaps there is a preservational bias against dinosaur
>  pellets?

I don't know about this. Do modern reptiles hork up parts of their prey?
Taking a cue from crocs and snakes, I'd say no. Ditto for the carnivorous
lizards. I think that if the bone material was small enough to be gulped down
with the rt of the meal, then it was digested as is done in modern reptiles.
This would imply powerfull digestive juices and could provide more clues to
their internal anatomy. besides, indigestible or porrly digestible things
like fur (only small rodents)  and feathers (few birds) were not as prevalent
as they are in today's biota. Feeding on one'e fellow reptiles wouldseem to
be the rule here. And even reptiles need calcium!

Regards,

Thomas R. Lipka
Paleontological/Geological Studies
http://members.aol.com/Tompaleo/Maryland.Dinosaurs.html