Re: Deinonychus claws

RIGHT ON.--pvs

----------
> From: Tracy Ford <tlford@ix.netcom.com>
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Deinonychus claws
> Date: Thursday, August 28, 1997 12:44 AM
>
> You wrote:
> >

> >Maybe; but the only part of the toe that would be on the ground is
phalanx
> >II-2.  That wouldn't provide a lot of support.  It looks to me like the
only
> >part of the second toe that touched the ground was the "knuckle" between
> >phalanges II-1 and II-2.
> >

> Are you getting that idea from Ostrom 1969, page 132, figure 74? It's
quite different from what Greg draws, and you can lower the first phalange
to touch the ground.

> >>  And what about the animal's ability to walk, run and balance?
> >
> >And why is digit II so short and directed away from the direction of
> >movement?  And why are phalanges II-1 and II-2 set up to articulate at
up to
> >a 90-degree angle to each other?
>
> So it can use the claw to slash.
>
>  And why are the muscle attachment sites on
> >the second toe so much more prominent than on the other toes?  And what
about
> >that enormous, nearly semicircular claw?
>
> Because it's a big claw. And not all the Mt big claw have such a large
semicircle. See my article in the Prehistoric Times, Mar-Apr, Number 23:
28-29, and of course Ostrom, J. H. 1976. On a new specimen of the lower
Creta
> ceous Theropod Dinosaur Deinonychus antirrhopus. Breviora, No. 439: 1-21.
>
>  Unless it was held up at least to
> >some extent, every step would have driven it into the ground!
> >

> Not necessarily. The pad would be very large, and it would have to be,
just look at how large the puduncle on the lower end of the claw is.

> >(I have copies of Ostrom's drawings of the original foot in front of
me--_The
> >Dinosauria_, p. 275)
>
> How can you have Ostrom's original foot drawings if its the Dinosauria
your using? You are using Ostrom 1969.