Re: Carcharodontosaurids and Abelisaurs

T. Mike Keesey wrote:

> I was browsing through the new Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs at a bookstore
> today (being a college student, buying it is unfortunately not an option),
> and I noticed something odd in the section on South American dinosaurs.
> The cladogram placed _Giganotosaurus_ closer to abelisaurs than to
> tetanurines!

This is an interesting coincidence. I was looking at a picture of
a Giganotosaurus skull recently and was struck by a few superficial
similarities with Abelisaur skulls, namely the huge infratemporal
fenestra and the small (non-existant?) maxillary fenestra. Even the
general shape of the reconstructed snout looked somewhat similar
to that of Indosuchus. Of course I'm no professional palaeontologist
and probably have no place in making such comparisons, and just a
couple of vague Abelisaur-like characteristics does not an Abelisaur
make. The fact that it is a large South American theropod is probably
also clouding my judgement.

        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions: