Re: NY times article

I had an iguana that snapped its tail at our cats quite effectively- one
can only imagine the power a sauropod tail would wield!  Even if it didn't
crack like a whip, it would be able to deliver a tremendously powerful
blow, I should think.  One of those across a theropod's nose (or anywhere
else) might be all it would take to discourage unpleasant behavior for a
lifetime.  Sauropods certainly would want some kind of defense mechanism,
and those tails seem like good ones, (as you say, other reptiles do it).

> From: Edward.Seidl@astramerck.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Re: NY times article
> Date: Wednesday, December 03, 1997 11:11 AM
>

> >Myhrvold and Currie ... agreed with the paleontologists who now
> >reject the idea that the sauropods regularly used their tails
defensively. The animals >would probably have sustained as much