"raptor" names (was Re: Giant raptor claw found)

At 01:38 AM 12/4/97 -0500, Dinogeorge wrote:

>The earliest dinosaur name to use the root "raptor" is _Ovoraptor_, a name
>published by Henry Fairfield Osborn in a faunal list in an article in
>_Natural History_ magazine in 1924 but subsequently discarded by him in favor
>of _Velociraptor_. In the same article, he named _Oviraptor_ (note distinct
>spelling), a name he favored over _Fenestrosaurus_, published in that earlier
>_Natural History_ article.

That's the earliest I can find, too.  Of course, "-lestes" is a Greek
equivalent to "-raptor" ("klepto-" is another), and had been used in a
couple of turn-of-the-century dinosaur names (_Sarcolestes_ Lydekker 1893,
_Ornitholestes_ Osborn 1903).

"-raptor" is also common suffix in the names of early mammals, especially
multituberculates.

At least we don't have the situation that hemipteran (true bugs) workers do,
with the genus name _Chisme_ (pronounced "kiss me"), and other genera
_Polychisme_, _Marichisme_, _Dolichisme_, _Ochisme_, etc.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661