Spring Dinosaur Digs

To all;

        I just thought I would announce our Spring dinosaur expeditions. We
have a number of them this year. The Argentina and Mexico trips are
coming up fast, but we still have a few spaces open. Bill Sills tells us
he has a couple of Eoraptors waiting for us. The Mexico program is also
incredible. In one day a couple of years ago we found 11 hadrosaur jaws
on the surface.
        The Zuni trip will be a great trip as well. The Turonian dinosaurs we
are finding there are all new to science and to give you a feel of how
good it was. Several of the folks that worked their with us last year
want to work with us again this Spring.
        Feel free to e-mail me any questions you might have. These research
programs deserve support and what better way than jumping in and getting
dirty.

Jim Kirkland
Dinamation Int'l Society

LATE CRETACEOUS DINOSAURS OF MEXICO

 March 28-April 3, 1998

        Help the Dinamation International Society support dinosaur research by
the
Coahuila Paleontological Commission and our Mexican affiliate, DIS, Mexico.
Field work
is led by Prof. Rene Hernandez, University of Mexico and Dr. Jim Kirkland,
Dinamation.

        The Society's work in Mexico began in 1991 in a small pueblo, Rincon
Colorado,
near Saltillo, Coahuila. Today, in great part due to Expedition Participants
willingness to
become a part of the effort and draw attention to the resource, the pueblo has
a dinosaur
museum and the quarries have become a nationally known reserve.
        Those who have been lucky enough to see the birth of a dinosaur
paleontology
program in this country have had an experience of a lifetime. This Expedition
is more than
just an opportunity to help with important research, it's a chance to make an
impact on
lives, as has been done for the children of Rincon Colorado.
        The quarries are located 186 miles southwest of Laredo, Texas, in the
rugged but
beautiful Chihuahuan desert. These Expeditions have uncovered remains from what
appears to have been an "Everglades  like" environment on a dry delta like the
modern Nile
Delta..  Preservation in this area is so good that in many instances the
imprint of dinosaur
skin is intact.  Dinosaurs include abundant hadrosaurs, with ceratopsians,
tyrannosaurids
and dromaeosaurids. There are also many thin beds with abundant marine fossils.
It is very
unusual to find such an abundance of dinosaurs associated with marine and
brackish water
environments.
        The Society's work in Mexico has not only answered many questions about
this
ancient environment but has also inspired a sister state agreement between
Coahuila,
Mexico and Colorado in the US.
        Once the capital of Mexico, the city of Saltillo transports you back to
a simpler
time. The narrow streets and colonial architecture create the setting ripe for
adventure.
Evening tours include markets, cathedrals, a bird museum, serap? factories and
other points
of interest.

        Accommodations are at the Hotel Rancho El Morillo, Saltillo, Mexico; a
converted
plantation that you will never want to leave. Its rooms are comfortable and
food delicious.

        Included in your fee: six nights stay; breakfasts, lunches and dinner;
ground
transportation from Monterry; all equipment and instruction.

Mexico_     (6 day)
        Fee: $1,200 + $125 for single occupancy         Deposit: $100
        Start Date: March 28, 1998
        Fly into Monterry, Mexico

For more information call: 1 (800) 344-3466
THE DAWN OF DINOSAURS IN THE VALLEY OF THE MOON, ARGENTINA

March 7-19, 1998

Assist  the Dinamation International Society in its efforts to support the
University of San
Juan in its research on the origins of dinosaurs of Ischigalasto. Field
Research is led by
Prof. William Sills, University of San Juan, Mendoza, San Juan Province,
Argentina.

        Eoraptor, the earliest known dinosaur was discovered from the rocks in
the Vall? de
Luna or Valley of the Moon. It is this dinosaur and others we will be
excavating in the
famous Triassic rocks of Ischigalasto. The spice of Latin America combined with
one of
the richest fossil areas on the globe make this expedition a favorite for those
wanting real
adventure.
        In addition we will spend two days exploring old Santiago, Chile, the
"city under
the volcano." A definite highlight for those interested in geology, and perhaps
a small
amount of adventure, is a bus ride across the Andes from Santiago, Chile, to
Mendoza,
Argentina.

        Your fee includes: round trip air fare from Miami and all flights in
South America;
double ocupancy accommodations; meals; equipment and instruction.

Argentina_     (12 day)
        Fee: $4,300 + $150 for single occupancy         Deposit: $500
        Start Date: March 7 1998
        Trip starts in Miami, Florida

For further information call 1 (800) 344-3466
MID-CRETACEOUS DINOSAURS IN THE LAND OF THE ZUNI

May 2-8, 1998

        This expedition is at the cutting edge of dinosaur research.
Expeditioners will be
exploring dinosaur bearing strata from the middle Cretaceous and excavating the
first
significant dinosaur material from this time interval (`92 mya). It is
predicted that all the
dinosaurs excavated will be new to science.
        Expeditioners will be excavating with Dr. James I. Kirkland and Douglas
G. Wolfe,
paleontologist for the Mesa Southwest Museum and an expert on the Cretaceous
rocks of
the Zuni Basin.  Expeditioners will be staying within walking distance of  a
museum on the
Anasazi indians.
        Previously discovered dinosaurs include a number of partial hadrosaur
skeletons, a
fairly complete dromaeosaur (raptor) skeleton with a skull, parts of a
tyrannosaurid, teeth
and armor from a nodosaurid ankylosaur, and a number of sites with ceratopsian
material.
The ceratopsian is the oldest horned-dinosaur ever found with brow horns and
was
featured in the Nov./Dec. 1997 issue of Earth magazine. During the '97
Expedition, we
uncovered a bone bed with this new animal and parts of a tyrannosaurid. We will
be
concentrating our efforts on this site, which has proved to be very productive.
Additionally,
we will be prospecting for more sites and sampling established microvertebrate
localities
and plant localities, which provide a complete picture of the fauna and flora
during this
important time interval.
        Your fee includes: double occupancy accommodations in Springerville,
Arizona;
meals; ground transportaion; equipment and instruction; visit to Malapai Indian
Ruins.

Zuni Basin_  (6 day)
        Fee: $995 + $125 for single occupancy           Deposit: $100
        Start Dates: May 2 , 1998
        Fly into Phoenix, Arizona

For more information call 1 (800) 344-3466