Re: Sauropod tails

I haven't seen any mention on the fact that dinosaurs like Shunosaurus,
Omeisaurus and possibly Mamenchisaurus had tail clubs. This is the
definitive proof that sauropods used their tails defensively and
offensively. I still find the cracking sound of and Apatosaurus tail rather
irresistible (at least as a theory).

 Dann Pigdon wrote:
>Indeed, a whip does not have to break the sound barrier to be effective.
>The cat-o-nine tails is a good example. Could sauropod tails have
>played a part in mating rituals after all, although in a slightly
>kinkier fashion? I seem to remember that it is the barbed penis
>of a tomcat that triggers ovulation in the female by causing her
>considerable pain when being withdrawn. Could a sound whipping do
>something similar to a female sauropod?
>        Now who's got too much time on his hands...

Luis Rey

Visit my Website on http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~luisrey