Fwd: Re: Dominant Mesozoic varanids?

From: Bill Adlam <wa105@mead.anglia.ac.uk>

>Dear Larry,
>
>You asked the Dino List:
>
>>Were there any varanids in the Mesozoic comparable in size to
Megalania
>>prisca...
>
>I didn't know about Megalania.  How big was it?

It was really big.  Possibly twice as long as a Komodo Monitor.  The
Australian paleontologists apparently call it the Great Ripper in their
picturesque way.

>I'm sure some smart Alec is going to say 'Mosasaurus'.

Not so smart, actually.  That response A) totally ignores the context of
the question and B) skips over the fact that the mosasaur-varanid
connection has been called into question lately.  I believe that
mosasaurs are now thought to have been more closely related to snakes.

I've forwarded this to the list because Bill predicted accurately.  Any
actual responses still welcome.

Larry