Re: Fwd: Re: Dominant Mesozoic varanids?

>From: Jonathon Woolf <jwoolf@erinet.com>

>Yes and no.  Last I heard, mosasaurs are still considered to be
>_descended_ from varanids.  However, on the evidence of the 'legged
>snake' _Pachyrachis_, mosasaurs are thought to be ancestral or at least
>a sister-group to snakes.

Whatever.  Mosasaur still gets the gong from Jamie Farr because it
answers a question I didn't ask.

A list member helpfully forwarded the e-mail of a herpetologist
specializing in varanids; I've posed my question to him and will forward
(assuming his permission) any interesting info.

Cheers,
Larry