Sauropod tails (their ends)

Peter Von Sholly wrote:

> Now I know this is a perfectly ridiculous thought... really I do... but
> does anyone suppose it could be possible that sauropod tails had any
> regenerative powers?  If damaged or broken off?  When young?  I know, I
> know, it's stupid.  I'm sorry. Honest!  I'll try never to do it again.

Many modern lizards, and crocodiles as well, can regenerate the tip
of a tail if lost, although the new section lacks actual vertebrae
and is usually reinforced with cartilage. Could this be one of the
reasons why most sauropod fossils lack the ends of the tails? :)
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions:
        Australian Dinosaurs: