Re: CRETACEOUS VARANIDS

Darren Naish said:

>got virtually no mammalian carnivores). This theory, nice as it is,
>has been invalidated by the large number of Australian marsupial
>carnivores described in recent years: new dasyuromorphs, carnivorous
>macropodids and thylacoleonids a-plenty.

I get the impression that mammals change dietary habit quite easily, whereas
dinosaurs (AFAIK) have made the transition only twice, both times from
carnivore to herbivore (unless one includes birds).   Furthermore, I've
never heard of a dinosaurian omnivore.  Perhaps they exist, but it doesn't
seem to have been a common habit.  Is there a simple explanation for this
pattern?

  --Toby White