thought for the day

     Did anybody out there hear the segment on today's "Morning Edition" on
     National Public Radio (US) dealing with the fate of the supercollider?
      I missed it, but I'm told that the reporter said something very
     clever:

     "A scientist without data is merely a philosopher."

     This aphorism appeals mightily to a militantly unrepentant
     non-postmodernist number-cruncher like myself, and I'd be interested
     in learning if anybody knows who came up with the saying.  Has it been
     published?

     Positivistically yours,

     Jim Farlow

     P.S.  If you measure dinosaur bones or footprints, you have data.
     Consequently it is legitimate for me to ask about this on this
     discussion group.  So there.