Re: whip tails

Whips can make the noise without the little bits at the end, but because having
the  smaller, more flexible bits of leather at the end where the *whip crack* is
actually made, it suddenly becomes easier to make the *whip crack* noise.  That
part is lighter so it goes faster, easier.  Note, just easier...it's a lazy
mans'
way of cracking the whip.  ;]
Some circus preformers used to replace the litle bits on the ends with caps,
just
so they never had a 'false' moment in their act.

-Betty