RE: whip tails

Actually, the thin tip of the whip, called the cracker or popper will
usually last several thousand cracks.  A whip-cracking dinosaur tail would
presumably have dead skin, keratin or scales that could grow constantly and
replenish what was lost due to wear.   If evolution created the whiplash
tail - a highly derived feature - it is not hard to believe that they grow
some skin on the end of it.

Nathan