Re: Origin of Birds-arboreal biped

At 11:23 AM 12/8/97 -0000, G & J Bloomfield wrote:
>     The upper Triassic archosaur Scleromochlus taylori had been
>suggested as one such beast by Von Huene  in 1914.*  He apparently
>was exploring the possibility of it being a pterosaur ancestor, but
>it seems to me that it would "work better" as a bird/dinosaur type as
>is being discussed.

According to the article in Padian's Encyclopedia, it shares some fairly
clear synapomorphies with pterosaurs.

One new (to me) fact I found in there: it is *minute*, about sparrow sized,
if I remember aright.  So, despite it being "cursorial" in anatomy, I do
not see how we can rule out arboreality in it.  At that size an arboreal
lifestyle need not leave essentially any major skeletal traces.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com