Re: Origin of Birds-arboreal biped

In a message dated 97-12-14 11:42:03 EST, sarima@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< One example I was thinking of was mice.  Just *try* to determine which ones
 are arboreal or partially arboreal from their skeletons!  I know of mice in
 a single genus that differ in this regard: some _Peromyscus_ are grassland
 animals, others are forest animals that *do* climb trees. >>

The earliest tree-climbing archosaurs were likely scansorial animals like rats
and mice. I came to the BCF idea not long after watching our pet rats climb
around their cages in apparent disregard of the law of gravity. Their feet are
built for >both< running and climbing.