Re: GPA

Paul and dwlewis are both right, actually, but for different reasons.
A great GPA (and SAT scores) will greatly increase your odds of getting
into a good college. The passion and inquiring mind will get you through
those really bleak required courses that seem to have nothing to do with
paleontology. I'd also add to the list sweat and perseverance!

Elizabeth

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Paul Willis wrote:

> >In a message dated 97-12-11 03:13:40 EST, dwlewis@rmii.com writes:
> >
> ><< Is there a specific high school GPA that one has to have in order to
> >become
> >a paleontologist? >>
> >
> >All A's, certainly. Nothing less.    :-)
>
> Nice as it would be to think otherwise, most palaeos I know (myself
> included) were not straight A students. What is more important is a love
> for what you are doing and an inquiring mind. A sincere passion gets you
> anywhere. Straight As get you into careers you may not want!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul
>

> Dr Paul M.A. Willis
> Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
> Quinkana Pty Ltd
> pwillis@ozemail.com.au

Elizabeth McGee                                 San Jose State University
Asst. Professor                                 San Jose, CA  95192-0100
Department of Biological Sciences               408-924-5277 (voice)
 & Science Education                            408-924-4840 (fax)