mea culpa (re: supersonic sauropods)

Oops--
        I noticed an error in my post on the Myrvold and Currie paper
shortly after sending it.  The damping present in biological contractile
units is probably largely under neural control, modulated by muscle spindle
apparati and such.  It's this damping that helps to smoothe many muscle
contractions and prevent jerky motions.  The dashpot analogy is a
mechanical example of a non-neural damping mechanism; the effects are
qualitatively the same whether the damping is mechanical or neural.  Sorry
about the confusion.  Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter much since
whips lack intact tendons, cartilages, and certainly neural damping.  As
always, with all due respect to the authors.

                       --John R. Hutchinson