Re: Mammalian teeth (was CRETACEOUS VARANIDS)

Matthew Troutman wrote:

>  I'm not sure whether Thylacaleo fused all of its  premolar and
> molariform teeth. Thylacaleo is a derived phalangeroid marsupial (
> example: sugar glider) and they reduced the tooth count. But if this is
> true I would like to see a ref on it.
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
> WMattTroutman

This was my mistake, which was cleared up by a message from
Paul Willis. The blade-like teeth are actually highly specialized
premolars. It's hard to believe that they are single teeth, to
paraphrase Dr Holtz they are indeed "big ass" teeth. A quick look
in Wildlife of Gondwana revealed a few photos of Thylacaleo material.
Appart from those blade-like teeth they seem to have only a single
second back tooth (much smaller) in each side of each jaw. It was
quite a feat of dental improvisation, which puts even the most
advanced of theropods to shame (there, now this posting has some
relevance here).
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions: