Re: Origin of Birds-arboreal biped

At 12:33 PM 12/14/97 EST, Dinogeorge wrote:
>The earliest tree-climbing archosaurs were likely scansorial animals
>like rats
>and mice. I came to the BCF idea not long after watching our pet rats
>climb
>around their cages in apparent disregard of the law of gravity.

Hmm, so we have a confluence of vision here, eh.

> Their
>feet are
>built for >both< running and climbing.

Do tell.  _Peromyscus leucopus_ runs up trees without even slowing down.
And I believe I have seen it meadow relative, _Peromyscus maniculatus_
actually climb *grass*.  (Big Bluestem is quite a robust grass).

Looking at the reconstruction of _Scleromochlus_, and knowing that it is
mouse-sized, I would not care to bet it could not climb trees, were such
available to it.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com