Re: Origin of Birds-arboreal biped

In a message dated 97-12-17 05:37:13 EST, sarima@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< > Their
 >feet are
 >built for >both< running and climbing.

 Do tell.  _Peromyscus leucopus_ runs up trees without even slowing down.
 And I believe I have seen it meadow relative, _Peromyscus maniculatus_
 actually climb *grass*.  (Big Bluestem is quite a robust grass).>>

About a month ago while walking our dog in San Diego's Balboa Park, we watched
a >lizard< do exactly this: run up a tree without even slowing down. Such were
surely the ultimate predecessors of birds.