Re: Sad Songs Make Me Cry (Was Parasaurolophus Greastest Hits)

People have been making replicas of Parasaurolophus crests and
trumpeting into them for a couple of years now. But has anyone stopped
to think that we're still missing the soft tissues which made the
sounds? Garbage in Garbage out.

Imagine if you found a fossilized trumpet without the mouthpiece. You
could never reproduce a Dizzy Gillespie solo. The same is true of a
Parasaurolophus crest. All we have is the approximate shape of the bony
tissues which form a resonant chamber. But that's not enough!

Take a look at an Austrailian diggery-doo sometime. It just looks like a
long tube. But what you do with your lips, cheeks, tongue, lungs, and
nose create an incredible array of different sounds and rhythms. I'm
sorry to say that we have no more reproduced the music of a hadrosaur
than we could reproduce the infrasonic rumblings of an elephant by
holding it's dead skull up to our lips.

William Monteleone