Re: (fwd) Mammals as a cause of Dinosaur extinction

Due to lack of time, I have not read all of the postings on this thread,
so I've lost track of who said what.  But this statement stands out (from
Betty's posting on 12/17/97):

>>I do not claim that mammals were the sole or even a major cause of
>>Dinosaur extinction. I believe that it was a factor and should not be
>>summarily dismissed.

Mammals as a factor in dinosaur extinction has not been summarily
dismissed.  It has been dismissed, yes, but only after decades of
discussion, and for the reasons (among others) mentioned by several of
you.  What seems to be missing here is a sense of the history of the
debate.

We also "summarily" dismiss creationistic explanations for life history.
But each new generation comes along and wants to know why we have
"summarily" done so, and suggest we ought to give it more consideration.
Of course, this outcome has, in fact, followed more than a century of
discussion, and nothing new has been brought up to justify reopening the
debate.  Careers are short, and it's time to move on to something new.

University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.