Re: (fwd) Mammals as a cause of Dinosaur extinction

At 07:38 PM 12/17/97 -0800, JSW wrote:

>In 1950, it was thought that mammals were a new group, recently evolved
>in the Late Cretaceous.  We now know that mammals were around all
>through the Jurassic and Cretaceous.

Actually, not true.  Middle Jurassic mammal jaws were known from the time of
Sir Richard Owen, and G.G. Simpson (one of the greats of vert paleo in the
first half of the century, and into the second half) did a lot of work on
Mesozoic mammals.

Sad to say, the mammal extinction theory had more to do with anti-dinosaur,
pro-mammal sentiment than any scientific evidence.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661