Re: (fwd) Mammals as a cause of Dinosaur extinction

                      Subject:                              Time:  11:05 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE>(fwd) Mammals as a cause of*       Date:  12/18/97

>Giant reptiles (turtles) have "ruled" the Galapagos islands for a long
>time. It is my understanding that recently imported dogs and cats have
>caused a decline in the turtle population due to their predation of
>turtle
>hatchlings.

  Also, if these mammals ate the eggs as sometimes suggested, they would have
a hard time breaking the hard shell.  Even an ostrich egg is close to the
same thickness as a coffee cup, and the poor hatchlings have a hell of a time
getting out from the inside!
  Are there any small mammals today that actually hunt for nests and eat eggs
as there primary diet ( sunnysideupivores ) ?