Re: (fwd) Mammals as a cause of Dinosaur extinction

At 17:07 -0600 17/12/97, Rob Meyerson wrote:

>The tortises evolved to their present status in isolation from the
>mainland and from predators.  As such, they have no defence against
>the modern mammalian predators.  Usually, introduced species will
>end up having a field day, so it is no suprise that the tortises
>are being nailed.

Indeed. Here in New Zealand the local fauna has had a major hammering
from imported mammals.

However, we've exported a couple of 'primitive' species which are
making just as much of a mess in other peoples eco-systems.

The example which comes to mind are some pretty nasty carnivorous
flatworms which are consuming the indigenous earthworms in
Ireland and other parts of Norther Europe - much to the detriment
of the soil there.

---
Derek Tearne.   ---   @URL Internet Consultants  ---  http://url.co.nz
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.
"If it goes off only the cockroaches and mammals will survive..." they said.